An amazing thing about torrents is that you can share and download them regardless of a platform you’re using. For example, Windows users can create and share torrents that Mac users can download (and vice versa). Even though this process is identical across platforms, different tools are used. This is why we are going to tell you how to download torrents on Mac computers.
Disclaimer: TechNadu does not condone illegal file sharing or copyright infringement. Even though P2P file sharing technology is legal, many of the files exchanged via P2P are indeed copyrighted. Uploading these copyrighted files can put you at risk of a civil lawsuit. While these lawsuits are often class-action cases, some have been targeted at individual users in an attempt to make an example of them.
Many of you will be surprised to know that your Internet browsing is fully visible by ISPs (Internet Service Providers). These companies have the power to collect your personal data and hand it over to third parties. Therefore, it’s imperative to keep your data protected and inaccessible to anyone who tries to collect it. This is especially important if you plan on downloading and sharing torrent files.
How to Download Torrents on Mac with Free Download Manager
We want this guide to explain the whole procedure from scratch so that even newbies can understand everything. This is why we’ll being by telling you how to download torrent files, how to use a torrent client, and what to do next. Let’s begin.
Step #1: Download a Torrent
Here’s all you need to know about how to download a single torrent file on your Mac system. Let’s get started, shall we?
- First, you need to find a torrent file, which is where torrent websites come into play. Even though there are many of those online, we recommend using torrentz2.eu which acts as a search engine. Go ahead and open the website.
- Next, type in the name of the file (movie, application, or album) and hit the Enter button. You should see a list of different torrents. For the sake of providing an example, we will look for one of Charlie Chaplin’s movies, which falls under the public domain. So, let’s type in ‘Charlie Chaplin’ and see what we’ll come up with.
- As you can see on the screenshot, there is a large list of offered movies. However, not all of these torrent websites are ‘healthy’. The first 10 or so have more than 15 seeders and a small number of leechers. This means that you can download those files up to the full extent of your Internet connection’s speed. Go ahead and click on any of these titles.
- You will now see a list of torrent websites. Since Torrentz2 acts as a search engine, it simply provides a way to find torrents across the Web. We can click on The Pirate Bayand we’ll be taken to the torrent’s description/download page on The Pirate Bay website. Finally, you can check the comments to make sure that the file is safe for download, and then click on ‘Get This Torrent’. Save the file on your computer.
Step #2: Use a Torrent Client
Next, we need to download data associated with the torrent file you’ve just downloaded. Keep on reading.
- Now, you need to open a torrent client on your Mac. We are big fans of Transmission and we’ve been using this application for several years now. It is incredibly simple to use, looks good, and doesn’t bring any unwanted complications. In case you still haven’t decided which client to use, we recommend downloading Transmission to your Mac.
- Once you open Transmission, you need to find your torrent file and drag and drop itonto the torrent client.
- Once you do that, you will see a new Finder window which asks you to select the download folder (the folder where the movie will be placed). You can select ‘Desktop’ from the left-placed sidebar and then click on the ‘Select’ button.
- The Finder window will now disappear but you’ll see another small dialog box. This is where you can change the download location and prioritize your torrent. In the majority of cases, you don’t have to do anything. So, go ahead and click on ‘Add’.
- Transmission will now start searching for seeders – people who have already downloaded the movie to their computer. Once that happens, the movie will begin to download at a faster rate. All there’s left is to sit back, relax, and wait. You are also free to minimize Transmission and let it do its job in the background.
Step #3: Seeding the Torrent
It wouldn’t be fair telling you how to download torrents on Mac without mentioning how to seed it. You will agree that it’s the right thing to share the movie you’ve downloaded for a while, and help other users download it as well. This is because seeders are the most important part of torrenting. Without them, torrent files wouldn’t exist in the first place.
Lucky for you, seeding is very simple. Once you download the torrent, you need to leave it as it is. It means not moving the files and leaving the torrent active in Transmission. This will allow other torrent users to take bits of those files to complete their downloads. It is up to you if you’d like to seed for a few hours or few days.
Additional Tips: What’s Next?
That’s it when it comes to how to download torrents on Mac. Still, there are many different things to explore when it comes to torrenting. Therefore, we ought to provide some helpful resources to those interested in expanding their knowledge.
- These days, online privacy is imperative. So, learn how to safely download torrents;
- Next, here’s our article on how to create a torrent. We have used uTorrent to give an example, and there’s a free version of this torrent client for Mac as well;
- In case you want to check out the basics, here’s our guide on how to use torrents. You will learn how to find, download, and seed torrent files.
When it comes to how to download torrents on Mac, that’s all we have to say for now. If you have any additional questions, or some helpful tips and tricks – feel free to share your thoughts using the comments section below.
As always, we’d like to ask you to share this article on social media if you think others might benefit from reading it. Thanks!